Thursday, November 13, 2008

kyle david miller

A few weeks ago, I was searching for how much a latch system in a car/van could hold before you had to use the seat belt instead of the latch system since some car seats, unlike mine, goes up to 65-80 lbs. I didn't really find what I was looking for but I kept seeing the name Kyle David Miller. I read a little about him. He was a 3 year old who was riding in their van, when another driver ran a red light and hit the van. His seat belt came undone and he was thrown from the van and killed. He was riding in a booster seat. A parents worse nightmare!! Then maybe a few days later I ran across this youtube video. Then it seemed like every time I searched for something about either the latch system or a car seat I seen his name. So I read more about his story and found his web site . I just wanted to sit and cry about this whole story. It just so sad. It makes me count my blessings everyday. Here with Katey and Camron I turned them around before they hit one, yeah I know they recommend a year and 20 lbs, but they were over the 20 lbs and their legs were getting squished. SO I thought they were safer forward facing. Then when I watched some other youtube videos it made me realized that I made a mistake. Then our car seats only went up to 40 lbs, but they were too tall for the car seat so we put them into a booster seat. Jacob is still rear facing and he is 16 months and 25 lbs. This car seat goes up to 35 lbs rear facing. Needless to say he is gonna stay rear facing as long as possible. So as I was looking at Kyle's website I came across where they help families who can't afford the higher weight 5pt harness car seats. Check out their website or their youtube video on it. I have thought about putting both Katey and Camron back into a 5 pt harness but no way can we afford two seats that goes up to 80 lbs! The weird part is in Sweden kids are rear facing until 3-4 years old! They have fewer deaths than the USA when it comes to car seat saftey. I did apply for help and right now the waiting list is 6-9 months. But for who ever is reading this post and did check out the links that I attached you can help. HOW you ask? You can down load the goodsearch tool bar. And for every search you do they donate a penny to the Kyle David Miller foundation. You can even donate on his web page or shop the sister sites and proceeds from every sale will be donated to the Kyle David Miller Foundation!! SO please check out Kyle's web page.

No comments: